Wednesday 10 April 2013

Pattern testing Boyd St. Bowling Bag

I was lucky to have been able to have been a pattern tester for  Boyd St. Bowling Bag which the talented Janelle at www.emmalinebags.blogspot.ca made up.




I had so much fun sewing this pattern, the instruction were very clear and straight forward.  Also she is great about including lots of pictures of the various steps.

I always like to use different types of fabrics when I sew bags, I'm never one to stick to 100% cotton.  So the choice of fabric is a big thing for me.  I usually sew on my industrial walking foot machines.  I can sew just about anything with it. I can sew cottons, and then go onto sewing canvas and leather just by changing out the needles. When I saw this pattern I knew I had to use Textilene and leather, two of my favorite fabrics to sew with.

I had no problems with  the pattern instructions at all while sewing this. Everything went together right the way they were suppose to.  I'm very happy with how my bag turned out. The only snag I ran into was trying to take a shortcut while making the straps and tabs.  I always use rubber cement, but thought I would try to use wonder under.  Needless to say with the upholster weight leather I used you really need to use rubber cement and a mallet. Once I went back and glued and beat the leather with a mallet everything turned out great.

This is such a great pattern to try and I have learned a few new tricks about keeping my lining fitting properly, and staying at the bottom of the bag. Also a chance to add some feet to the bottom of the bag. I will have to make more bags using feet.


Look for Janelle PDF pattern as it is available now at thru her website.

8 comments:

Janelle @ Emmaline Bags said...

Thank you so much for the mention! I love that picture of the bag hanging. That's a great shot! Shows the shape and feet nicely.

Thank you so much for testing the pattern. I am so glad you like it!!

Janelle

Carry Hers By Natalie said...

Thanks Janelle, it is very easy to be a tester when you have such a great pattern to test.:)

Maria said...

Ok I'm going to try to comment again. Seems like the first one got lost somewhere. I saw your bag first on Janelle's blog it's really beautiful. I love the colours and fabrics you used. It looks really professional.

Carry Hers By Natalie said...

Thanks Maria, I'm glad your comment came up this time. I really like this bag too.

It was a great pattern to sew and I learned a few new tricks.

RaspberrySunshine said...

Oh Natalie! Your bag turned out fantastic!! You'll have to tell me more about you fabric choices. The red is awesome! Great job :)

Cindy

Carry Hers By Natalie said...

Thanks Cindy, I used Textilene it is an outdoor fabric. They use it for cushions, awnings and upholster for outdoor furniture. It comes in so many different patterns, colours and thicknesses. You can sew it on a normal sewing machine but use a denim or leather needle. I would also recommend using upholster thread as it can cause the thinner threads to break. You should also use a longer stitch length for it. A lot of the time you don't have to use an interfacing as it will keep it's shape. I have used an woven sew in interfacing for Janelle's bag as I wanted to ensure the shape held up with everyday use.

If you check out my pictures of my purses on this blog you will see that I have sewn many different types of purses/bags with it. There is a diaper bag and also a few other of Lisa Lam patterns, and an Amy Butler pattern as well.

I hope this helps explain what it is. If you want to learn some tricks about sewing with it just let me know. I'm sure if you try it you will be hooked on it.

sewVery said...

I love the red fabric you used for this bag! It really seems to hold its shape better than the one I made using decorator weight duck cloth. I love using mine though! Tons of space!

Carry Hers By Natalie said...

Thanks Veronica, I love sewing with Textilene you should try it sometime. I find it holds it's shape so well and it doesn't show wear with use. It is different to sew with, but I use it so much now. I have even used it on patterns calling for lighter fabric and it still works well. The trick sometimes is to heat it a bit with an iron and then it will bend the way you want it to when you sew.

Post a Comment